Re: [MiNT] A problem with compiling tcsh

> When compiling tcsh (original source archive with the diff from KGMD applied)
> I received some error messages from the linker (only one for each variable
> listed here) when I linked it with MiNT lib PL 49 (PL 46 from KGMD gives no
> errors):

> I think they are related to the -mbasrel option.
> But when searched this variables to see which modules I have to reorder to
> keep this relocation in range I was suprised:
> I could not find any of this symbols in the source of tcsh.

Through the process of recompiling things fro NMD, I opened a _big_
can of worms:

Seems not even half of the stuff found in KGMD will compile correctly
under the newer GCC/GAS and MiNTLIB 49.

Some stuff is compiled using very twisted tricks that rely on so many
implecit delarations that the compiler freaks out, because it cannot
find the value it's supposed to assign to something.

Others require certain headers or objects that are missing from
the source package.......

Others (like syslog) compile fine, but always die with a bus error
for no reason (oddly enough, the rest of MiNTOS compiles just fine
and even shows improved speed performances).

Other stuff has double declarations of variables within a series
of related bindings.

My worst bandit, right now, is nfs.xfs 0.54, which finds about
30 undeclared variables (presumably found in older versions of
the headers it wants) and then insists on wanting libksocket.olb
even though the compiler options request -mshort ...

  Martin-Eric Racine * http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
  The Atari TT030 Homepage * http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/