Re: AW: [MiNT] drive letters (was: Kernal questions)

> > Basically, this is the approach I advocate for MiNT:
> >
> > 1) GEM apps access drive letters (ie: C:\clipbrd\scrap.txt)
> > 2) CLI only access real UNIX paths (ie: /tmp/screen.copy)
> >
> > In other words, drive letters should be absent from / since U:
> > is our UNIX  /  (ie: root), but there should still be a way
> > for GEM to access paths in the traditional DOS way.
> >
> > Likewise, CLI should access /floppy while GEM wants A:\ drive.
> >
> > You get the idea?  ;-)
>
> No. What's the point of this? Why would the type of the application
> make any difference about how ti access files?

Because in UNIX, we deal with paths from a unified filesystem (ie: from
the root, using / as separators), not drive letters.

However, GEM apps expect a DOS pathname, which uses drive letters and
backslashes as separators.

> I would like to see a clear description of the (perceived?) problem
> with the current way MiNT works, and *then* we can discuss how to
> fix that.

The main gripe I have with the current way is that my U: drive is
cluttered with one-letter symbolic links to the drive names.  When
working from CLI, I want those _NOT_ to appear on /, since I don't
need them there;  I only need them within GEM.

  Martin-Eric Racine * http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
  The Atari TT030 Homepage * http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/