RE: [MiNT] drive letters (was: Kernal questions)

> > As you know, the purpose of chmod is to restrict access (or hide) certain
> > directories.  In the case of / it belongs to root, so if we allow a chmod
> > on U: we could easily end up locking access to the whole filesystem.
>
> I don't see how this would be a problem if we support only the "hidden" flag
> for Fattrib(), and if this ability remains restricted to the super user.

If root hides / from itself, then who can still access it?  Nobody.
Same problem if / is owned by root and root does "chmod 100 /" or
something similarly stupid.  Then the whole filesystem is gone.....

Quite frankly, it would be much better to simply remove the parts
that mount the logical drives into / from the kernel sources.

  Martin-Eric Racine * http://www.pp.fishpool.com/~q-funk/M-E/
  The Atari TT030 Homepage * http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/