Re: [MiNT] Stability of mint ext2fs

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 08:19:38AM +0000, John Blakeley wrote:
> The only caveat I have found, is that because we have no way of cleanly
> unmounting any filesystem, running fsck as per the script in Frank's
> latest kernel release, is imperative. I would say that a third of the
> time, it does perform some (v. small) filesystem modifications. I don't do
> "quick-boots" anymore, and with 5, non-TOS filesystems totalling over
> 2.5Gb, that does take quite a bit of time. Of course, if I could get the
> parallelising fsck to work, this might be a lot quicker!

A propos mount.  Is it really impossible to implement a proper mount
mechanism in MiNT?  To see /a /b /c /d /e /f ... in my root directory is
really a thing that bugs me.

With real mounting and unmounting it should be easy to maintain a mount
count for every file system and only perform a check if the maximum mount
count is exceeded.  A cheap replacement for a real mount and unmount would
be some OS call that enables resp. disables partitions, i. e. some way to
tell the file system driver to terminate or initialize a particular drive.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000