Re: [MiNT] update on my situation

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 07:36:42AM +0300, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> > I got messages like that too, but they occured depending on the hard disk
> > and not depending on Minix or MiNT version.
>
> Can you explain?  Cause, before it died, my 1 GB was initialized
> using the same Minit with Minix 0.71 and it was completely stable.

The messages mainly occured with a very old and slow Western Digital
drive.  They have almost completely vanished with the new Quantum
Fireball.  I would guess that there were really hardware errors.

However, a bad sector test didn't produce any anomalies but this result
probably wasn't trustworthy:  Before I saw the error message I could here
that the system was trying to access the harddisk at regular intervals
(zzt, zzt, zzt, ... ERROR!).  The system must somehow has timed out.

When doing the bad sector test actually the same happened, but for a
longer time.  During these operations the progress indicator stood still
and finally after a long while it succeded without an error.  Looks like
that disk has bad sectors but not bad enough.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000