Re: [MiNT] kernel development

Hi Julian,

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 04:24:54PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > Right, but the base for Martin's idea is ok to me.  Why not make
> > gethostname and sethostname kernel calls?  Sethostname should either be
> > called by /etc/rc.net or - which I think makes more sense with MiNT - in
> > mint.cnf. Whatever program sets the hostname could also update
> > /etc/hostname for compatibility with old software.
>
> Sounds good. But please do not invent more and more system calls for
> cosmetic things. A new opcode for Ssystem () or something similar should be
> just fine.

I think the kernel is a good place even for cosmetic things.  The more
intelligence is packed into the kernel, the better.  Right now it would
even make sense to have a kernel regex or printf call because the kernel
is the only shared lib we have and this strategy saves memory, both
permanent and volatile.

No, don't add Xregcomp and Fprintf to your mintbin.h.  Just an example.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000