Re: [MiNT] Here documents and CRLF

"Guido Flohr" <gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de> writes:

|> On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 12:49:46PM +0200, Thomas Binder wrote:
|> > Maybe this is the whole problem. I tried to reproduce the behaviour you
|> > described and it only happened when UNIXMODE wasn't set when the shell
|> > started. In a mis-behaving shell, setting UNIXMODE and "exec"ing a new
|> > instance of the shell cured the problem, i.e.:
|>
|> So how do you set UNIXMODE?  I set it in mint.cnf, in n_aes.cnf (because
|> Toswin is an AES prog) and in /etc/profile.  Running `env' instead of bash
|> from Toswin shows that UNIXMODE is set.  If if it set for `env' it should
|> also be set for `bash'.

There is a subtle difference here. UNIXMODE is only evaluated by libc on
program startup, thus later changes don't have any effect unless you tell
libc explicitly (which is currently not possible, AFAIK).  If you set
UNIXMODE in /etc/profile it's already too late for the context of the
shell itself.  So if you want to make it work as expected you need to make
UNIXMODE special to the shell (the required framework is already present),
which then must have a way to tell libc to update its internal state.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@issan.cs.uni-dortmund.de                      completely different"