FW: [MiNT] MiNTLib Non-Bug

-----Original Message-----
From: Guido Flohr [mailto:gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 2:29 AM
To: Julian Reschke
Subject: Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib Non-Bug

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 10:17:33AM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:

> [...]

Because ...

> > pipe, proc, shm, ...) would be if the kernel would also use UTC for
> > timestamps.  There is a potential problem with timestamps in local time.

... your comment should have gone here.

If you write UTC timestamps into TOS or VFAT partitions (which are likely
to be read by TOS or MagiC) you will run into problems.  For us in
Germany it is only one or two hours (acceptable) but for Mario it
will be 12-13 hours.

> As the kernel is using the (GEM)DOS format, it's probably a lot of work to
> put any kind of conversion into the XFS itself -- so if at all the kernel
> should do the conversion, and this of course needs to be optional.

Frank and me were thinking about something like a Pdomain++() call
that would activate such new features that are likely to break old
software.

Yes, I agree, such conversions should be done by the kernel.  But in fact
at least the minixfs and ext2fs currently have to do the conversion from
UTC to GEMDOS, the kernel converts, and the MiNTLib converts the other way
round.  This is really stupid and should be changed one way or the other.
If there was a way to communicate from the fs driver via the kernel to the
applications that timestamps are in UTC (and the kernel only converts on
demand for `dumb' programs) we would save a lot of resources.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/