RE: [MiNT] MiNTLib 0.52.3b

oups, just sent the wrong posting, (typo of my part).
anyway, read on.

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> Well, it _is_ broken here.  Especially, when changing from floppy A
> to B on a single-drive system, back and forth, if VFAT is enabled on
> only one of the drives.  That kills Thing (from desktop) and boots
> your out of Bash (from CLI).
Even if it was broken, is it worth it to change the entire concept??
Wouldn't it be better to fix the prob you are seeing? (broken)

Using the typical mount way of unixes to mint to me a mistake.

> > b) Even in that case, you can do the same thing in Bash (with the right
> > tool), and then it's still not worse than under Unix.
>
> But why should we have to force media-change detection, while
> other OS apparently handle it smoothly and transparently?
Now I don't know who's maintaining all the commercial unix box you are
using, coz they must be god. TRansparently, never crash, all works smooth
etc. yeah right.
Little funny detail that happened 2 weeks ago, on a sun box, playing an
audio cd. well locked the whole fucking thing, Now call me liar, I really
do not care. Yes I know, "they never crash, never lock etc" Yet, when you
see that happening on a 30.000 USD machine at least, it is quite funny.

Then we figured out that the cdrom drive had to be mounted way before X
started. and once the cd played, you had to quit the cd player to change
the audio cd.
Didn't support the eject function correctly.
On the linux it works much better, YET is flacky.

Don't ask me why, or how.

I am NOT saying that it happens on all solaris, but it did on these 2
machines, so all the "bs" about all other unices working perfectly
is just like unbelievable to me. Really.

Oh btw, today a hpux10.20 totally crashed and had to reinstall the whole
thing from scratchm How do you like that also?
Am I liying?

Do you know how much do these machine cost? (not even talking about
support, software etc).