RE: [MiNT] pppd error messages

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 Jo-Even.Skarstein@gjensidige.no wrote:

> Btw. this whole thing with HS-Modem, RSVx.PRG and HSMINST.XDD is *very*
> confusing, there must be some way to clean up this. Some possible solutions
> could be...
>
> a) Improve MiNT's serialdevices so they call RSVF directly instead of going
> through the BIOS. Then there would be no need for the XDD.
> b) Don't kill the RSVF-cookie. Perhaps this could be configurable?
> c) (a) + (b)

a) MiNT already uses RSVF if it is installed through GEMDOS. Not for all
calls but is surely doesn't use BIOS for anything if I remember correctly
and the code hasn't change since I last looked it.
b) The /dev/modem1 is slightly different in MiNT and in hsmodem that's
the reason why the RSVF cookie can't be present when MiNT is on. If a
program thoughts that /dev/modem1 acts like in RSVF when it really acts
like in MiNT the program doesn't work propely. At least one difference I
know is that hsmodem doesn't support (not all at least) terminal control
codes (or what are those named) or implements them differently. ECHO is
one which is different I noticed when I tried to make the RSVF cookie
present with MiNT.