RE: [MiNT] to all freedom users

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 Jo-Even.Skarstein@gjensidige.no wrote:

> So when does N.AES wrap around? A quick and dirty hack would be to make a
> small application that eats up apids until N.AES wraps, this should wake up
> Freedom again. The obvious solution is ofcourse to fix Freedom...

It's not that simple - Freedom actually crashes and causes strange things
to happen whne the ap id goes beyond certain values. It doesn't merely "go
to sleep." My understanding was that previous versions of Freedom had a
limit of 64 but this was increased to 128 in a recent version after I
reported the problem. Apparently Freedom uses values above 1024 for
internal communications and if the ap id reaches such values Freedom will
crash very badly. However in my experience strange things start to happen
well before then.

The only answer is not to use Freedom. I've already been through this with
the authors of Freedom and they are not going to fix it.

As for when the N.AES ap id wraps, I would be interested to know too.

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~mario/ * Atari Serial Mouse Interface    |