Re: [MiNT] Sparemint and FHS

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:
> > Finally, I must admit that I don't consider it a good idea to put manpages
> > into /usr/share because they are not sharable (at least not across
> > platforms).
>
> Actually, they _are_, as any other other text-based file is.  The
> only thing that is not sharable accross the board are cat-formatted
> versions (which is not a problem, since the FHS philosophy is that
> man pages should always be formatted on the fly and stored in
> /var/share/man during their use.

Martin I don't agree here.
the formated version is a so little prob, Just need to reformat them.
The problem is the content of the manual which IS different depending the
machine/os you have.

Many tools are different if from bsd or linux, flags, returned values etc.

also, even worse, the calls.

The manual pages from a hp-ux won't be any help if shareable on a solaris
machine.

Totally different in many aspects.

These should be local to the machine and not shareable.