Re: FW: [MiNT] Best CAB.OVL for MiNT-Net? (fwd)

Hi Odd,

>  Yes, I did use splitram (by Bernd Ebert, I think). But now I use my own

splitram was done by myself since otherwise some programs cause trouble. Since
Fredi didn't split the Hades accessory into AUTO folder part and ACC like I
asked him for again and again I did write this little proggy.

> thing, called set_mmu which does all I need. It sets up a translation tree
> and splits the ram, like splitram did. However, since the Hades hardware
> operates with only one type (physically) of RAM, there is no difference
> between this ST and TT ram. But some ppl have problems using these mmu
> tools of mine, and, for the most part, those that have problems are using
> a Mach64 GFX card. This leads me to believe that the drivers for that card
> really is the problem somehow. And I'm investigating it.

The trouble stays even with Fredis new RagePro driver. As far as I can see there
are two possible reasons for these problems:
1. The PCI bus itself is not very stable on the Hades. I gave up trying to
install an scsi card Fredi wrote a driver for. Depending on the positions of
gfx board, ethernet board and scsi board I got scrambled images (or none at all)
or the ethernet board was not found or the scsi board (or at least my harddrive)
were not found or behaved strange. The PCI gfx boards only behave stable when
the processor cache is disabled...
2. The gfx board itself dislikes very fast accesses to its I/O area. I already
saw this misbehaviour on ET4000W32 boards together with NVDI).

Regards,
    Torsten Lang
    http://Torsten.Lang.net