RE: [MiNT] Detecting serial-devices

> Anyway, resolv.conf is a bad idea and I really hope there's some other
> of configuring DNS and domain.

resolv.conf must be evaluated each time a hostname lookup is evaluated (I
say that because I work on a system that dynamically links
/etc/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf.d/{offline,ppp0} depending on what
has been requested).

SCO, DGUX, AIX, Solaris and Linux all use resolv.conf here. I don't think
we can get away from it.

I connect to a number of ISP's and wrote a util to link /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/smail/conf, /etc/hosts, etc, etc, to the ones they should be. This
works fine for me.

Jo-Even, I suggested that if your GEM dialer app, is to support multiple
ISP configurations, then it needs to integrate well, into some
standardisation of config-file locations, to be agreed soon.

I currently have in my /etc:

	resolv.conf.d/
	hosts.d/
	domainname.d/
	hostname.d/

with files below these dir.'s appropriately named to reflect the ISP. This
follows the SysV logic of naming conventions, but is hardly an excepted
standard. I also have /etc/network-scripts where I keep my chat-files,
etc. All my Demon account versions, are named *.demon. I have a script
called `isp-convert` that takes one parameter - the name of the ISP. This
then links all relevant files ending in '.demon', into their correct
locations. Runs as root, obviously.

Salut/.

J/.
__