Re: [MiNT] MiNT-net and the DHCT protocol?

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Martin Nightowl Byttebier wrote:

> Within a few month I will have the possiblity to use the
> cable to surf. However I'm been told that the cable use
> the DHCT protocol,

That probably is DHCP.

> and that this isn't possible (yet) on the Atari, even with
> MiNT-net.

How can they know?  Did they ever investigate Atari, or do they
assume that anything not Windows is outdated?

To answer the question, no, DHCP isn't currently supported.

However, it shouldn't be too difficult.  It's just a variation on
the old "boot" protocol with new stuff on top; client/demon pair.

Both myself and Janez Valant use cablenet with our TT's and a
Riebl card, with excellent results.  We just had to request our
own fixed IP; there sometimes is a surcharge for that.

Here in Finland, we use the Dutch technology called Quicknet, on
Motorola CyberSURFR~Wave cable-modems.

I'll let Janez explain the situation on his side, in Slovenia...

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk