RE: [MiNT] BigDOS again

> > This was to create an Ext2 partition, so why would I need
> > NEWFAT enabled on it?  Shouldn't in be enough to declare the
> > partition as LNX and boot with the Ext2 driver?

Anybody got the answer to this one, btw?

> Could you please try to summarize why you said "BigDOS is
> still needed under MiNT"?

I wanted to have one partition (the last one) as 1 GB so I would
have enough space to write cd-rom images, to burn my own cd's.

 Problem:  TOS 3.06 only supports partitions up to 512 MB.

Solution:  stuff BigDOS early in the auto/ folder.

  Caveat:  1) HDD-Util allowed me to make the partition, but
              warned that it exceeded my TOS' limit.  I marked
              the type as LNX, cause I want an Ext2 partition.

           2) At bootup, the last partition isn't found by
              HD-Driver.

           3) Thing finds the partition, but cannot show its
              content (file not found or something).

           4) I run mke2fs and it reported some error (I forgot
              which, it has been over 6 months since) which has
              prevented me from making it into ext2.

That's as much as I can remember, 6 months after the attempt.

> BTW: in case that you run BigDOS after MiNT,

Before.

> If it is run *before* MiNT, it shouldn't have any impact,
> maybe except that some programs see the XHDosLimits stuff
> they want to see. If this is the only function you need,
> you're probably better off writing a short TSR which hooks
> into the XHDI chain and just implements that call

Why doesn't the kernel report that, since it is what increases
the partition limit?  The kernel already uses XHDI for a lot of
things, so why not support that call too?

Btw, thanks for the details above.  It clarified things a bit.

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk