Re: [MiNT] New kernel features

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 02:15:35PM +0100, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:42:05 +0100 (CET), Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
(and mixed up "Guido" with "Joerg" ...)

> > > If a feature requires more memory than expected, well, is this feature
> > > absolutely vital for the old hardware users to have it?
> > > MiNT 1.15.x works fine and is quite something already.
> >
> > Precisely my point. :-) To look upon it crudely: The argument is basically
> > about whether we want new features or not. An argument against new
>
> I don't see it like that, it's more a matter of *how* to add these new
> features. Should we go for a monolithic monster-mega-kernel (which we will
> eventually get) or loadable modules? I prefer the latter, but for many
> things this will require a new, more advanced module-interface in addition
> to the current device- and filesystem-interfaces.

A system of loadable modules would definitely be a solution to the current
dilemma.  But who is going to write that?

Same with VM.  Would be nice, is necessary and would also solve the
problem (at least on machines equipped with an MMU), but nobody has
written the necessary code.  No, not me, I don't have the knowledge to do
that.

Ciao

Guido
--