Re: [MiNT] Harmless part of /kern

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 06:55:11AM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:

> [...]

Compatibility is nice.  But for a really low-level tool like ps it is
acceptable if it is platform-dependent.  Instead, you could just as well
convince Dr. Kromke to implement the new MiNT feature in Magic.  That
would have the same effect.

> 2) How can the basepage change? This is a documented operating system
> feature...

I can easily hide my own environment by writing a new address for
env_p into the basepage.  Who guarantees that a particular implementation
of putenv/setenv really updates the basepage when it grows or shrinks the
environment?

The information in the ARGV pseudo variable is definitely lost after the
process has done its initialisation.  I doubt that there is any crt0.o
version that does not zero out that variable after it has been parsed.
That's why the kernel saves its original contents (and btw, it is not
forbidden to overwrite your ARGV).

Ciao

Guido
--