Re: [MiNT] expanded /proc vs new /kern

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 05:00:52PM +0100, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> > Sure, in theory.
> > But in reality there are probably programs that rely on the fact that
> > names in /proc will never exceed 12 bytes (plus terminating null).  One of
> > these programs is the MiNT kernel by the way.
>
> Yeah, task managers of various sort and provenience for example. But MiNT?
> In what part (except the procfs), because I can't remember at the moment.

First problem: The fname field in include/proc.h is an array of fixed
size.  It has to be changed to a dynamically allocated buffer (which
causes various unconveniencies).  Second problem: Not every piece of code
that relies on the 8+3 scheme seems to use the PNAMSIZ macro which makes
hidden dependencies hard to find.

Of course the problems could be solved but I still don't think that we
should risk incompatibilities for a feature of very limited usefulness.
There are already proper ways to inquire the exact name of an executable.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/