Re: [MiNT] New kernel features

Hi Julian Reschke, on 1 Dec 99 you said:

 >> Memory and disk space aren't an issue. I have an almost basic

 JR> ...for you...

MiNT + without demon except syslogd + some XFS + N.AES + Jinnee. That's very
basic IMHO.

 >> MiNT setup but when I reach the desktop (Jinnee), 3 Mb are already
 >> "missing". I know that's easy for me to speak when I still haven't ever
 >> reached the end of "my" 96 Mb but I can't even imagine how a 4 Mb MiNT-box
 >> is able to work. We can't have more features without taking some space
 >> somewhere, someway.

 JR> He, great. Why not abandon 68K machines (most of them being restricted
 JR> to 4MB) as well?

I'm realistic, I know we can't. But it has already been discussed here about a
cut-down kernel for "small" machines.

Now, the big question: What can be removed from MiNT kernel to cut it down?
I've no idea... But the one who will answer to this question will also do a
favour to the MiNT community in telling what must be kept definitively inside
the "monolithic" kernel and what can be put outside of it. That will raise a
new question: What API for these "outsiders" that used to be "insiders" if they
want to turn modular?  <G>

I'm not a MiNT developper and I suddenly feel happy not to be. Too many
questions, problems, dilemnas... And being called names every time somebody
dislike what you did? No thanks!

See you later,

Remi Villatel
E-mail: maxilys@normandnet.fr