RE: [MiNT] Correct way to detect MiNT kernal?

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:12:46 +0100 (CET), Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

>> Anyway it is related to memory protection.  Back when I was told
>> my program did not function correctly I recoded it to correct this.
>> However, as it turns out the extra bits in the mxalloc() calls
>> caused serious problems on TOS 4.04 without the mint kernal present.
>> Ozk knows this to be true as well.  ;-)
>
>Then you needs to detect TOS, not MiNT :-) Magic ignores these bits, so
>you have to only worry not to set them under TOS 4.

It was said somewhere that TOS ignored them too, which seems to be
true with TOS 3.06 on my TT.

That makes perfect sense.  However there is many TOS versions
and newer/modified ones in the clones.  It seems much simpler to narrow
the test to the kernal since it is only the kernal that uses the
extra bits.  That's just my opinion though.  ;-)

Atari Computer User: Lonny Pursell        E-Mail: atari@bright.net
WWW: http://www.bright.net/~atari/       IRC: lp @ #Atari @ IRCnet