RE: [MiNT] New kernel features

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:47:14 +0200 (EET), Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>
> > Often overlooked, but equally important, are beta-testers.
>
> ME, you jump to conclusions,

Example?

> you refuse to clarify your statements (e.g.  you talked about
> "breaking GEMDOS compatibility", but not been able to tell us
> exactly *what* does this,

I have mentioned the Compendium several times.  It documents MiNT
(as a part of the GEMDOS functions) and what is documented there
should be observed.  This includes signals.  What is so unclear?

Ah yes, right.  The part where "Atari is dead" I suppose...

> complained about the new error-codes and claims that they
> render MiNT useless on your machine, but you've not told us
> what breaks.)

I have very specificaly said that it rendered ZSH useless,
because it returns the wrong replies.  Later, someone finally
explained that a typo in 1.15.4 was at fault.

Point:

When too many new fatures are introduced at the same time,
tracking down _what_ broke in a new beta becomes looking for the
needle in a haystack.

To answer Ozk's question, slower developemnt with progressive
improvement _is_ a _lot_ better, because it makes it easier to
track the side-effects of new features and decide if they are
bugs or desired results.

Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk