Re: [MiNT] Security again

Hi!

> That obviously isn't true, since the kernel would have complete control over
> what programs were allowed to use this feature. Just as certain programs
> are allowed to use restricted operations of Ssystem(), which could also be
> used to override the system.

That's just a fake control. If you can override any trap you can override
the complete system, Ssystem() too.

> Obviously. But I think our definitions of what a program is differs.
> To me a program is not necessarily an application.

As I said, anything that is started after MiNT is an application for MiNT.

> In my view, the kernel should have as complete control over the environment
> as possible. That means that it should know about these things, if at all
> possible. Right now it can't.

The idea of TraPatch and the idea of a stable kernel are concurrent. So
you must decide between Trapatch and stability. That's a fact, about
application code you never have any control.

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 040