[MiNT] Problems with mail service at Magdeburg

Hi,

this does not apply to the list at all, but I find this way the easiest to
notice the problems, as I know that the interested man is on the list.
So...

I have problems sending mails from this account (draco@obta.uw.edu.pl) to
Frank Naumann. The mails are returned with notification "Service
unavailable". Here the record follows:

The original message was received at Wed, 5 Jan 2000 16:19:34 +0100 (CET)
from draco@localhost

<fnaumann@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>

... while talking to prinz-atm.cs.uni-magdeburg.de.:
>>> MAIL From:<draco@obta.uw.edu.pl>
<<< 550 open relay 193.0.75.165;see:http://www.orbs.org
554 <fnaumann@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>... Service unavailable

I didn't yet manage to look at the page recommended (http://www.orbs.org,
slow transfer) but I suspect this is a sort of mail filtering service
which rejects postings incoming from "improper" servers, just because an
user somewhere inside the filtered domain (*.pl even?) attempted to do
something considered bad (e.g. a hack attempt).

While I don't personally like hackers, I'd like to express my disgust of
such a sort of massive responsibility, which I am taken under, not being
guilty.

One idiot telnetted somewhere he should not, so what, let's shoot the
whole domain? And what I am supposed to do now? Search for him to kick his
ass? This country has 40 million people and is pretty big for that task.
Even if it is *.edu.pl, this domain are in fact tens thousands of servers
spread among hundreds of cities, any bigger school actually. *.uw.edu.pl?
Still, big university (200000 students or something) in a capital city...
Simple filtering does not make much sense.

I am very sorry to say that, but if there was a hack attempt somewhere,
this is the problem of the administration staff on involved servers and
possible the hacker himself. I.e. NOT MINE. Administration staff is paid
for getting ass up and solve the problem, so that the network would
operate as flawlessly as possible. ANy other approach (like this) is just
an indication of their inability and lazyness.

Happy new year,

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@atari.org                  |  Atari Falcon030 user   |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.