Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is n.. ..project

    Hello !

> Speak, react, join the New MiNT distribution project
> on www.siliconfruit.com/mint
>
> Bring us our knowloedge !

    About the hypothesis of a MiNT port for the forthcoming RioRed
platform, I have some questions to ask : I think MiNT isn't a complete OS,
and is lacking some parts like the AES, the VDI, the
desktop, and so on. If MiNT is ported for the RioRed motherboard, those
other parts should also be ported. What's the best way to procede ? To
enter in a agreement with Woller&Woller, Behne, and so on, to port
existing products like N.AES or NVDI ? To create a 680x0
emulator for the PowerPC platform to use them with no port needed ? To
create brand new AES/VDI/... parts ? I think the opportunity to port a TOS
get a TOS compatible PowerPC based platform is a *great* chance for us to
perennize our world. But I guess there will be problems on the way : a
PCI/AGP platform means that sound and graphic output can vary. A hardware
independant sound and graphic system has to be created for our platform.
and this is a huge work. I think Patrice Mandin started a project called
DHI, which aimed to created such a software layer. Would it be a good
starting point ? For the VDI, would it be possible to use Mesa, and to
create a "gateway" to translate VDI calls into OpenGL calls ?
Being a *poor* programmer, those question can be considered as pure
nonsense from a hardcore coder point of view, so please don't flame... :-)

Thanks !
Yann