Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is n.. ..pro

Katherine Ellis <kellis@fdn.com> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Michael Schwingen wrote:
> > Yup. And a 80386-40 with a decent ISA VGA card will easily beat those. Even
> > my Pentium1-200 is faster than my TT on raw CPU speed than my TT using
> > TOS2WIN, so emulation is definitely feasible.
>

> hmmm either your TT is a 8Mhz, or your p200 is actually a 800Mhz.
> Or maybe a special super duper version or tos2win?

Not necessarily.

If you implement the core OS (MiNT in this case) and the GUI (GEM)
in native code, and only emulate userspace programs, most applications
will in fact only emulate the non-system parts, and the rest will
run as fast native code.

This is exactly what's being done in OSIS, where the core OS is linux
instead of MiNT, but the concept could be the same regardless of
the choice of base.