Re: [MiNT] Shutdownbug in MiNT v1.15.6b

> Hi!  I get this everytime I shutdown MiNT 1.15.6beta:
>
> pid 88 (shutdown): dispose_fileptr: f->links == -1
> FATAL ERROR. You must reboot the system.
>
> I have tested it with/without N.AES (clean mint) with same result. I am
> running a CT2-Falcon with MinixFS v0.74
>
> Or else the kernel seems to be stable.

Hmmm.... I must admit I'd very appreciate, if someone would come and bring
an explanation on the stuff that is happening at shutdown time. I mean,
these crashes. I must also say that I already got quite frustrated trying
to find this out (must be something very simple, no?)

The current diagnosis known to me is (was?) that simultaneous usage of the
vcons1d and an AES (no matter what AES) screws up FIFO structure for
/pipe/q$ttyv0 (or whatever is the exact name), so that when shutdown()
comes to closing all open files, and boils down to the pipefs, the
pipe_close() fails because f->links for this file (q$tty...) is -1.

The next observation was, that this bug does not occur, if some version of
N.AES (>= 1.2.0) gets closed before the actual reboot. I.e. you first
close the AES down to the login prompt on the console, and THEN issue a
reboot.

Knowing that I developed a workaround which is (I guess) included in
1.15.6. Namely, when pipe_close() detects that f->links == -1, it gets
reset to 0, and the function returns EINTERNAL (instead of making an
assert). Simultaneously an alert is produced saying something like:
'f->links == -1 for (filename) ignored'.

The reset of the f->links value is just to avoid the assert in
dispose_fileptr(), the one which hits you. I mean, this what is happening,
is impossible :-) Yup, I am puzzled.

Next thing what puzzles me is that on my system the alert (f-links ...
ignored etc.)  which was supposed to always appear at the shutdown time,
stopped appearing on my system some time ago. I have no clue, what is the
reason, and what changed by that time, because when I noticed this, I also
vaguely remembered that this was happening so already for some days or
weeks, in other words, I missed to notice it at the first time.

Does anyone have other experiences, perhaps?

BTW. long time ago someone (some person from Czech Republic) reported
problems with MiNT crashing at the time the AES switches resolutions. I
had this problem too - but all this has gone away when I replaced minixfs
with ext2fs (converting partitions to ext2fs, obviously). Just a noticed.

Gtx,

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@atari.org                  |  Atari Falcon030 user   |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.