Re: [MiNT] might be stupid questions:

 Hi, Kellis,

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Katherine Ellis wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Frank Naumann wrote:
>
> > And I think the programming overhead at AES level is much greater as on
> > GEMDOS level. So if you decide you need at least N.AES as minimal base you
> > can also skip Fsfirst/Fsnext stuff.

 A very valid point, Frank :) However, Kellis, even if fsfirst/next()
calls were extended to correctly return long filenames, most apps would
just plain simple crash, because they count on the fact that the filename
returned in the DTA is no longer than max 14 characters. This means that
the apps would only retrieve the first 14 chars. If I remember correctly,
the filename in the DTA is also considered to be NULL terminated, so an
app that copies the filename out of the DTA only looking for the
terminator will overflow its buffers, and crash. Nice  thought, but imo
would break a lot of things :)

 regards

 Odd Skancke - ozk@atari.org