Re: [MiNT] Proposal for SLB extension

Hi!

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 10:33:52PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> First of all, I am annoyed as much as you of Outlook's inability to do
> proper quoting. However, I have my reasons to use it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know Outlook even doesn't allow removing
unnecessary ammounts of quoted text before sending a message ...

> No to your *technical* comment: it might not be a call, but it *is* code
> which resides within the kernel.

And what does that change? It's still code run in user mode, so it can't
ever have access to curproc, as that's supervisor-protected kernel
memory, for good reasons.

> Related to this: I don't see a lot of people using SLBs under MiNT if it
> doesn't support SLBPATH to locate them.

I thought about this, and I still think it's broken-by-design to
evaluate an environment variable inside a kernel call. However, I'm
going to implement it, but it's a bit tricky - parsing and checking for
a file must not lead to buffer-overflows directly inside the kernel ...

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de