Re: [MiNT] UTC documentation uploaded

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Guido Flohr wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 05:34:38PM +0200, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> > You can find my "Guide to using MiNT in UTC" at:
> > http://pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/mint-UTC.htm
> >
> > Comments and corrections are quite welcome, as well as feedback
> > from users of my port of the K9 NTP client.

> A few comments:
>
> Do you really use that tzselect script? I don't find it very
> helpful.  Maybe a matter of taste.

I just use the same zonename as on my Linux box, but I assume
that not everybody will know their correct zonename and will then
need that script to find it.

> Some comments: You recommend explicitely setting the TZ envariable after
> the call to tzinit.  It won't surprise you, that I don't. ;-)

[explanation]

> Second approach: Don't set TZ at all and wait for problems instead.

That seems like a very bad kludge to me.  Adding wrappers for
every old application, especially when so many older ports
from KGMD have not be reported, is not so great.

> TZ syntax: You don't explain that.

If you read correctly, I specifically refer to your text.

> once for your timezone and store the answer in a file (I think it's
> /etc/sparemint/TIMEZONE, not sure).  If you permanently move your computer
> you should change this file manually because if you update the MiNTLib and
> the installation procedure finds that file, it will not bother to ask you
> again for the timezone.

Using the "manual" procedure, it changes all that, AFAIK.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, IT Consultant * http://funkyware.atari.org/
* May the Funk be with Q! * Author of the Atari TT030 Homepage.