Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.10b fragmentation

"Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz" wrote:

> > > However, IMHO, the more proper solution would be to develop an AES which
> > > works completely in user context. This would allow (in some future) to
> > > remove the F_OS_SPECIAL flag, which is simply a dangerous idiotism, and
> > > creates a security hole big like the Baltic Sea.
> >
> > The AES would become unbearable slow if it cannot access the parameter areas
> > directly. The AES is a important part of the operating environment and should
> > be granted a certain level of trust.
>
> You do not understand. Running in user context means that there is no such
> process an "AES" anymore, and structures obviously can be accessed
> directly, because all this is done in the context of the calling
> applications. In this case no F_OS_SPECIAl neither any other "more
> elaborate authentication procedures" would be necessary.

OK I see what you mean.
Well, such a AES does not exist. And I am not working on such a thing.

> AES is perhaps an important part of the operating environment, but the
> system should not be brought down, when the AES fails. If you think you
> are able to develop an AES which is perfectlty bug free an can behave
> rationally in any setup and situation, I wish you good luck.

Thank you very much, but 'luck' is not what I need.
My aim is to provide the atari community with a perfect working open source
AES that is reasonable fast and small and is at least not worse than
atari multitos. Thats all for the moment.

> Regardless of that, the F_OS_SPECIAL facility should be taken away off the
> kernel, if not because of the stability problems it causes, then because
> of the security risk it introduces.
>
> > It would be a good idee however to replace the simple F_OS_SPECIAL
> > flag setting by a more elaborate authentication procedure.
>
> For example?

I have no example. I havnt spent time on that yet. Use your imagination.

I am on the mint list, so I have no need for a cc:.

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.    mailto:h.robbers@chello.nl