Re: [MiNT] OSMD - introduction

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:10:37 +0200, Guido Flohr wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:02:31PM +0100, Bohdan Milar wrote:
> > 1. Current install-scripts problems:
> >
> > - in MINT.CNF I try to do a multiple copy of files named setup.?? (??
> > = shortcats for different languages like de, en, cs, fr, ...) but as
> > a result in the destinational directory a file named "setup.??"
> > apears instead of the multiple copy... (I also tested "*").
>
> If you would post the actual code you use I wouldn't have to guess... ;-)
>
> Almost sure tho' that you are doing something like this:
>
> 	cp setup.?? dest/setup.??
>
> Replace it with
>
> 	cp setup.?? dest
>
> and you will be happy.
>
> Remember that all pattern matching (?, *, ...) is done by the shell.

As it was in mint.cnf, it was:

	exec u:\bin\install -c -m 755 setup.* /bin

As Frank wrote me, mint.cnf does not support wildcards so I had to
move this operation to the begining of the first script I run after
mint.cnf.

> > - I have uncompressed rpm from tar.gz on a newly crated Minix/Ext2
> > parttion and done 'rpm --initdb'. I have correctly (all the others
> > work) set links of the root directoried (/bin, ... /usr, /var) to the
> > new partition. I try to install bash and this appears:
> > 	error creating temporary file //var/tmp/rpm-tmp.<number>
> > where <number> is a real number.
>
> Notice the double slash at the beginning.  Maybe it works if you get rid
> of it.  If you have a close look at your mint.cnf you will probably be
> able to find the error.

Well, the reason was simple - /var/tmp/ didn't exist. Fixed, no rpm
works OK. Nevertheless I also find the double slash strange.

> > 3. The way of installation
> >
> > At the moment I have rewritten and tested the KEMD setup script. It
> > can do more than the half of above mentioned operations. I know this
> > type of text installation is not much sexy but it is the only thing I
> > can do. There are two other proposals (both from Jay Soft):
> > 	a) do a text installation using tty dialogs
> > 	b) do a GEM installation using GEMSetup or something like that
> > What do you think as a MiNT large public? Any other proposals?
>
> What about c) do an installation completely based on VDI.

It's up to Standa. I am going to continue writing the shell script
(the only way I know) and when it will be finished, anoone can
transform it to anything he/she wants.

> > 4. Localizaton
> >
> > We design whole installation as open and international. There will be
> > a possibility to translate the installation script to many languages
>
> Install the package "gettext" and try "gettext --help".  You don't need
> separate scripts to internationalize your installation stuff, you only
> need different message catalogs.  Once you support more than two
> languages, you will not be very happy with your solution.

I know gettext a bit (I translated message catalog of recode 3.6 to
Czech, BTW using qed) but I do not know how it could help us
thanslating plain shell scripts. I know it is much simple to
transalte new versions when gettext is used but please explain what
it means to use it in our installation. what files must be added,
what format shall be the script?

> Ciao
>
> Guido

Regards,