Re: [MiNT] OSMD - NKEMD structure

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 01:10:31 +0200 (CEST), Frank Naumann wrote:

Hello!

> > General question:
> > - I won't create separate src.rpm files but will include the src
> > files to bin rpms into dir usr/share/doc/...
>
> rpm don't work so. If you create an rpm package you always create an src
> rpm package too that include all stuff to rebuild the binary package.
>
> For the missing things simply pack the compiled stuff into an tgz (+readme
> and maybe the original src) that is used as src file to create a binary
> package. The created src.rpm then include the src tgz and the spec file.

Well, I appologize (first of all to Jan, who tried to learn me how to
build an rpm), but I do not undrstand this very well. I found (on
www.freemint.de) and downloaded some original packages used in KGMD.
They include complete sources, but I do not know if they are useable
for compilation today.

> > ash:
> > - include only ash bin, man and src
> > - remove pwd which is in SpareMiNT's sh-utils
>
> Move ash away. There is at least a ksh rpm package with a small ash/ksh.

Well, well. I only ask because I know the clashes between bash and
tcsh users, so I would like to prevent a situation when somebody says
"I won't use OSMD because my loved ash is not there."

> > bsplit:
> > - I do not know if the functions of bsplit are not replaced by
> > something from textutils, but the file named bsplit is not in
> > SpareMiNT so I am going to leave it in NKEMD.
>
> I would say move all stuff we don't know of and that are not part of an
> wide spread rpm package away. If someone need it he can still request it.
> I don't think it's useful to have totally unknown stuff as pseudo rpm
> stuff just because this file was of KGMD years ago.
>
> > elvis:
> > - I don't think it is important so am not going to add it in NKEMD.
> > Nevertheless some files from /usr/ucb (elvis, elvprsv, elvrec, input)
> > have no SpareMiNT equivalets.
>
> As I said, most of such things are not useful or functional at all. It
> make absolute no sense to add anything just because it was part of KGMD.

Ok. I agree.

> > fileutils:
> > - "mkfifo and mknod never worked, they were pure fake." - I am not
> > going to use them in NKEMD although they are missing in SpareMiNT.
> >
> > shelutils:
> > - /usr/bin/w is not in SpareMiNT, but I think it is not important.
> >
> > textutils:
> > - /usr/ucb/rev is not in SpareMiNT and I won't put it to NKEMD.
>
> Use the rpms as they are. The rpms a direct ports of the redhat rpms.
> Don't wasting your time with analyse of differences to KGMD.

Fine, thanks. I just wanted to be sure. I want my installation to do
duty for users, not to be a dictate of my ideas. So I ask.

> > mintnet:
> > - I hope there is a reason dummy.xif and oslip.xif are not included
> > in the new kernel package. It will not appear in NKEMD.
>
> dummy.xif is just an xif skeleton. The only interesting thing is the src
> code for xif programmers ...
>
> oslip.xif is obsoleted.

OK so not needed.

> > nfs:
> > - NFS itself is now included in freemint.rpm, but there is no nfsd. I
> > am going to create NKEMD package named nfs-utils.rpm with nfsd and
> > rpc.mountd.
>
> Use the latest userspace nfs daemon from linux. It will easily compile
> with the new 0.57 mintlib (that include now the rpc library).

Sorry, not my business, but Jan from Jay Soft would be able to do
that (when he will return from hospital).

Regards,
		Bohdan Milar