Re: [MiNT] ext2fs and TOS domain

Hello!

> When used in TOS domain (Pdomain(0)), minixfs and fatfs are both case
> insensitive and return uppercase filenames (with Fsfirst() and
> Fsnext()). On the opposite, ext2fs is case sensitive (trying to open
> "FOO.RSC" won't open "foo.rsc") and returns filenames with case
> preserved.
>
> This lead to problems with old applications. Depending on the way they
> are written, one has to change the RSC filename to uppercase or
> lowercase, for example.

There is no real way to solve the problems for TOS domain programs. Also
MinixFS have problems. With the right constellations you have the same
problems (opening wrong files for example).

Due to this I don't added any TOS domain workaround for ext2.

> I know at least two newbies who switch back to minixfs because of this.
> So I think it is worth correcting this.

It's not recommended to use ext2 with old TOS programs. For strict
compatibilty please use the FATFS that is designed to be 100% backward
compatible.

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--