Re: [MiNT] CPU-hogs

> With the current kernel I've noticed a strange behaviour. When running
> CPU-hogs like gcc, the AES is very unresponsive. Actually, it's completely
> locked. It didn't use to be like that, previously I could continue using
> other applications while compiling the kernel, although at a reduced pace.

This behaviour means that there is no preemptive multitasking - the
MiNT scheduler does not work. In previous MiNT versions (before 1.16)
the scheduler was hooked onto the VBL interrupt. This was changed to
the 200Hz timer, because not every machine generates VBL (e.g. Milans
don't) while 200 Hz timer is AFAIK, everywhere available.

Just check if you don't load anything, that grabs the 200 Hz timer
vector or resets it to default BIOS state (pointing to ROM).

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
draco@atari.org                             http://draco.atari.org

* Ea natura multitudinis est:  *  Taka to juz natura pospolstwa: *
* aut seruit humiliter,        *    albo sluzalczo sie plaszczy, *
* aut superbe dominatur.       *        albo bezczelnie panoszy. *
                     (T. Liuius XXIV, 25)