Re: [MiNT] Cookie Jar problem

> > And it is pointless because with Ssystem() any process can still freely
> > manipulate the cookie jar _including_ a possibility of destroying or
> > damaging all of the contents in all the copies, which would affect all
> > processes.
>
> That's wrong for sure. As every process have it's own cookie jar it can
> only damage it's own cookie jar (I assume that Ssystem is written correct
> and don't destroy cookie jars from other processes).

I must say, that I cannot follow your argumentation. Say, if gluestik.prg
could place its cookie into all cookie jars with Ssystem(S_SETCOOKIE), it
should also have a possibility to remove it, again from all the copies,
with Ssystem(S_DELCOOKIE). And that last means, that it in fact can remove
any of the cookies from all the (private) copies. And even exisiting
cookies can be updated with S_SETCOOKIE, so...

> > So where is the real problem?
>
> I don't have any problem. You wanted to rewrite it as xdd. It's just that
> I don't see any advantage of simply moving the gluestik code into an xdd.

The advantage is that (in current situation) gluestik.prg is only able to
place STiK cookie into OWN private copy of the cookie jar, which means
that applications cannot find the cookie in THEIR private copies of the
cookie jar.

At the other hand the XDD - not being a process - could be able (during
initialization of course) to put the cookie into "master" cookie jar,
i.e. the kernel private copy of the jar. Since the jar is copied from
parent to child process, and the kernel is (at last) the greatparent of
every process in the system, placing the cookie into the "master" cookie
jar would make all processes inherit it.

CVV

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.