Re: [MiNT] missing vi (was: Re: EasyMiNT for ARAnyM)

Hi!

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, M.A. Kehr wrote:

> > was 'vi' that was supposed to be installed on every Unix like
> > environment by default.
>
> Same as in my `child` years.:) But I had much trouble with vi before I
> could use it, because it´s not so easy to use, when you only know
> editors with a GUI.

EasyMiNT does not behave as a unix-like environment? IIRC yes! and so I
would suggest to have elvis in there.

> > If you care about the size then some very stripped version should be
> > made. We can maybe compile vim or KGMD based vi into an rpm
> > package....
>
> Petr wants to port elvis, which is smaller than vi and I think this
> would be a good compromise.

hmm...
I've played with several vi clones yesterday with the minimal
setup (mintlib does not compile with -Os gcc optimalizations
unfortunately here - internal compiler error). Here are the executable
sizes:

virus: 203kB - very minimal one source file vi clone (I would not bet on
               this one)
elvis: 403kB - elvis 2.1_4 version (no problem /I hope/ to create RPM)
vim: 460kB

I would vote to create a minimal vim-minimal.rpm from the same sources
and include this into EasyMiNT as the size difference is not that high.

best regards

STan