Re: [MiNT] Extendos and MiNT

Hi!

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > question. Is there some open replacement of MetaDos? I know that  Julian
> > had sources of original MetaDos. But I don't know what happens with them.
>
> There used to be a project called "BetaDOS" (I'm not sure about the status).
> The MetaDOS sources (why would you need them for a MiNT-related project
> anyway???) belong to whoever owns the copyright to TOS, and I'm not going to
> publish them.

Right. FreeMiNT 1.16 does not support the M(B)etaDOS at all and therefore,
the only correct way for FreeMiNT, we need to write the cdrom driver for
that.

Regarding the ExtenDOS... Anodyne were quite kind in my personal mails so
I suggest they would like to provide the FreeMiNT .xfs or will be happy if
someone help them to implement it. It is not that hard when you have the
MetaDOS driver....

> As MetaDOS itself is only a few thousand bytes of assembly
> code, it should be trivial to reverse-engineer, if anyone is *really*
> interested.

Exactly. I was about to do it until Ronald Anderson appeared again and
kindly provided the patch of the broken Pexec() in the very new (2003)
version of BetaDOS 3.12. The project is not dead and therefore no need to
reverse engineer that.

Forget MetaDOS, the only future is FreeMiNT ;)

regards

STan