[MiNT] ppp problem

I have the usual kind of question for me.

A fellow posted a ppp problem in the atari.st group. It seems the
latest ppp is a version 14, and only earlier ppp version it will
not read is a version 11, or probably 3.11. So SpareMint/EasyMint
(ok, MiNT) ppp does not work to his ISP. Mine is mindspring.com,
and they have a reputation for mindlessly using the very latest
program versions, whether they work or not. So I may have that
problem too.

I changed syslog.conf by commenting out the line starting with
*.info and replacing it with one starting with *.debug. Was that
proper syntax for logging all messages?

I ask because the last time I tried there were no messages.

ppp dials, and if I pick up the phone, there is ppp sync noise,
but ifconfig never gives anything but the display that says the
loopback stuff is running, and eventually the line is dropped.

There is no sign of any link negotiation happening, and there
were no messages in the message, or actually message? file. Am
not sure what created that file, but it happened after I changed
syslog.conf.

I did print out man ppp, although I am not at all sure how part
of that happened, have read it carefully, and have put all the
right things into my .cfg files. So there is no RTFM problem, I
think.

Anyway, what do I do next? Any and all comments appreciated.

--
 /"\      Jim DeClercq--jimd@panix.com--Sylvania, Ohio, USA
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |