Re: [MiNT] Telnet?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Mario Becroft wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Jim DeClercq wrote:
>
> > Ok, but just how does toswin support VT100. One can set tw100,
> > but that is not an acceptible terminal type to the far end, or
> > so it says, when I telnet there, using the shell toswin can
> > start.
>
> At the far end, just set the terminal type to VT100, by doing something
> like
>
> export TERM=vt100

Did that, did not help.

> Hopefully Toswin's tw100 is close enough to work.

Tried that, did not work.

> If this does not work, then please describe precisely how it fails.

If screen mess is precise, I could. Apparently, space characters,
tab charaters, tab characters, at least those outside of a
program's text strings, print as three character groups. That
messes up a display, and wraps text strangely, I am talking
mostly about Pine, later version, at the far end.

> > > Getting another telnet client will not help.
> >
> > So far, using another telnet client does help.
>
> In that case you must be using some sort of telnet client with an
> integrated terminal emulator. The BSD UNIX telnet client is not like that.

Yes, I am, and it should run under and with MiNT. It is the
otherwise unsatisfactory TelVT012, which has its own fonts, and
needs a GDOS to run.

> > I asked a simple question, if there is any answer. Where is the
> > source code for BSD telnet 1.5.4?  Among other things, it is
> > configurable in a number of interesting ways, which the SpareMiNT
> > version is not.
>
> I don't know the answer to that. You could try looking at NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> FreeBSD etc. But the point is that getting this will not help you get
> VT100 working.

Thanks, but. I know any of them should be what I asked for, but I
spent time with Google looking, and did not find it. The Mass
Institute of Tech site that used to have such things was broken,
and perhaps permanently so.

You have just said, I think, that MiNT cannot help me read mail
in whatever version of Pine panix.com uses, by telnet to
panix.com. If so, that needs a fix, but where?

You seem to be saying that toswin needs code to deal with full
VT100, if that can be done. I do not believe the source code for
that one is available.

I suspected there was no remedy, am willing to try anyway, but
cannot write what I think I want from a blank screen. Do not know
enough yet.

This is a problem, even if it only affects me. MiNT should be
able to deal with a remote host using a vt100 instruction set.

Apparently, this is something I lack the skills to do, or the
sorce code to do. Any further suggestions?

Jim