Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

> > Short:
> > On machines that can Poweroff, Halt, means Poweroff, only in
> > debug mode Halt means really Halt.
>
> I basically agree.
>
> Just one note : what would happen if the kernel panic (let's say
> there's no GEM or INIT line in MINT.CNF, or an unrecoverable bus
> error occurs in the kernel code) and displays an error message. It
> still needs a way to halt the computer, so user can see what went
> wrong.
>
> So FreeMiNT still needs a way to stop the computer without powering
> it off. But this code could be private to the kernel and not usable
> from user mode.
>
> So, yes, Halt can mean Poweroff as long as the kernel still can use
> a "Realhalt" mode.

I agree, it will be taken into consideration.

> Oh, and check that FreeMiNT issue a command to every hardrive to
> instruct them to save their write cache and waits for confirmation
> before powering off. Or you may run into problems. Having to
> poweroff manually used to allow enough time to hardrives for saving
> datas, so nobody could have notice this before...

This may be a problem. I can basically add a timeout, but it may be
not perfect for every drive. Atm. FreeMiNT does not "touch" drives
directly but through XHDI interface, and that depends on the driver,
but I do not think they do any kind of write-back cache.

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl