Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

on 12/11/03 3:52 AM, Petr Stehlik at joy@sophics.cz wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 00:16, Lonny Pursell wrote:
>> I'd rather see you guys
>> split the CVS and spin off your own "free" OS.  Then you can hack it up
>> as you like and not upset anyone.
>
> There are last 4 developers (or maybe 8 but not much more than that)
> working for FreeMiNT and you'd still prefer the fragmentation. The
> strenght is in the unity, not in breaking efforts into smaller and
> smaller ones.
>
> I am wondering how such a clear thing can't be understood by the
> remaining atarians.

I'm at the same point as Frank now.  I don't get it. The kernel offers
a couple of options for extending things, but as soon as one does not
meet with the satisfaction of aranym, then it turns into recoding the
kernel which is backwards thinking.  If aranym is going to suffer
a performance hit to do something a legal way, then that is a problem
with aranym.  Get a faster PC, problem solved.  ;-)

I also do not quite get how all this will benift someone with a hades
or a TT or less.  The general assumption is no new hardware will ever come
to be, that is the impression I get from the aranym web site.  But in here
I hear that this stuff might benefit me down the road.  Down the road on
hardware you all seem pretty sure will never come to be?  Hmm...

For some time I have been striving to learn to code a system clean
app and now I hear we need a call to make direct hardware calls.
Is it any wonder I am not on this band wagon?  Won't such an app
making these call be totally useless to magic users?  Or Geneva users?
Or do you intend to write TSR hacks to handle this as well for non-mint
users?  You leave magic hanging out to dry and you will have even more
people not impressed.  If I use these call I will effectively force someone
to a TSR?

Well, if spinning off your own kernel keeps the kernel from growing
needlessly for those that use a real machine, then yes split it.
I am already tired of hearing how bloated mint already is from magic users
or new users who fail to get it working.  Can someone also give real figures
on how many people even need this?  So far I estimate 3.  Also how many
emulators can even run mint?  I guess what I'm asking is there even
significant demand to bother with this in the first place.

--
Lonny Pursell