Re: [MiNT] XHDI, SCSIDRV are in a boat... (was Re: Shutdown() discussion)

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Patrice Mandin wrote:

> Le Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:02:59 +0100 (CET)
> Frank Naumann <fnaumann@cs.uni-magdeburg.de> a écrit:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > > Perhaps we could learn from the other "callback based cookie interface
> > > (like XHDI, SCSIDRV, STIK and so on)" that you mentioned. Were these
> > > already converted to a MiNT friendly version? If yes, how?
> >
> > In short words:
> >
> > XHDI (and the other) are mainly a jump table. FreeMiNT create now such a
> > jumptable (like defined by the interface) that is pushed into the
> > userspace of every process. These jumptable call a special syscall to
> > enter the kernel in the correct way. The kernel syscall now decode the
> > requested function and handle it. This is done for XHDI and SCSIDRV. As
> > side effect the kernel now have a chance to check user privileges before
> > performing such an operation.
>
> Well, I still wonder why you want to keep cookies under MiNT for the ones
> dealing with hardware. We should have a xhdi.xdd or a scsidrv.xdd that
> creates corresponding devices in /dev/ directory, so we don't have to
> bother whether to use one or the other. Keeping cookies in MiNT is not
> something that should be considered a good thing. Every hardware access
> should be done via using a XDD, the rest is dirty writing of software.
> MiNT-aware applications and libraries should do this. However, the big
> problem remains: where are those XDD drivers for all Atari hardware and
> extensions ?

 You dont have them?  :-) As of yet we have scc.xdd, mfp.xdd, lp.xdd and
others I may have forgot. I plan to implement kbd.xdd and ikbdmouse.xdd
(both dealing with ikbd mouse and keyboard). These are already drivers in
oVDI, but as of yet they're compiled in. API is there and working.

 Infact, most (if not all?) the hardware devices (mfp, scc, mouse, kbd) on
my hades is handled by the kernel via XDD's or the (X)BIOS. One exception
is ofcourse XHDI.

--
 Regards,

 Odd Skancke - ozk.atari.org - http://assemsoft.atari.org