Re: [MiNT] fVDI issues

> I hope we all agree that the current situation is hm... unacceptable
> in longer terms. I have no clear thoughts about VDI, but for the AES
> I think that Atari have made a mistake hooking it onto trap #2. Or
> any trap, to be strict. As a consequence we now have an AES running
> as a separate process, which creates all sort of problems and
> enforces many kludges because the AES designed so must have an
> access to other programs' private memory which is normally not
> allowed.

VDI should be a kernel module. The main reason for this is speed.
AES should be a userland app. I see strong reasons fro adding XGem to
it (ie. AES+XGem hybrid)

Some time agor Frank made (or tried to make) kernel module from
Xaaes. Frank, you never said what was the results of it, could you
tell us a little about it?

The other way could be having both VDI and AES as kernel modules, and
AES should call VDI directly (ie. without using traps). I think this
is the fastest solution (CPU wise) and also could save some work.

We could beat MagiC ;)

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski