Re: [MiNT] AES desktop extension

Hi,

I've followed your discussion about extending the AES for a better desktop window management.
Here some thoughts from me:

We should use the normal wind_set(WF_NEWDESK) function to implement your idea. I.e. -wind_set(0, WF_NEWDESK, &objc_addr) sets the appropriate desktop object. -wind_set(0, WF_NEWDESK, 0L) removes the desktop object and disables desktop management
-wind_set(0, WF_NEWDESK, -1L) enables the sending of WM_REDRAW messages

Sure, an AES implementation should make sure that if applications are switched it is perhaps necessary to send a redraw message to the dektop window.

If we go further in this direction, we could use the WF_NEWDESK feature for normal windows too! It could be used for an easy implementation of window dialogs. I.e. an application can add an object tree to a window just by using wind_set(whandle, WF_NEWDESK, &my_dialog). Sure in this case the name WF_NEWDESK should be replaced by something like WF_OBJECT or WF_OBJTREE.

I think this would lead to a proper implementation of your desired feature and further it could be a proper way of implementing window dialogs (and get rid of WDIALOG ;-)). Sure for backwards compatibility we need to add this features to old OS like TOS and MagiC.

Your comments are wellcome

Philipp