Re: [MiNT] 1.16.0 still no go

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 10:12, Jim DeClercq wrote:

> HDDriver is the latest, cables are short, drive seems to work
> some of the time, not like the last 8 I have had, have enough TT
> parts to do serious swapping, the Sparemint files are fine,
> 1.16.0 runs on a TT, so I either have a scsi problem,
> irreplaceable bad memory (16 meg 30-pin SIMM) or a drive with
> failing bearings. Most likely the drive. Darn. First good one,
> for a while, I have ever had. That is probably the only reason
> RWABS would fail. Maybe that is where my tcp_sendsegment bug
> lives, too.

Ok this is good.  But In my case I only got RWABS fail on my Falcon.
This is when the Videl is overclocked and resolution set to 800x600x256
cols.  This stresses the system bus which in turn causes the system to
not always be able to write.  This is a bios drive write I believe.
Unfortunately enough for this situation, I've never experienced this
message on a TT.

> The hardest part here is finding a new SCSI drive of less than 29
> gig size. If you have to format them, it takes most of a day.
> Euros in an envelope to Atari Fachmarket is probably what I will
> do.

I understand that.  Probably the best you can do is to find a nice 18
gig UW scsi drive on eBay and get the proper adapters.  I was under the
assumption your drives were much older than even this. If you have
newish drives (say 9 gig and above), this is really strange.  My falcon
has 3 gig SCSI HDD's, and one 8 gig that's had at least 4 years of
straight runtime on it, etc.

> I do find freemint to be very useful, and intend to get it
> working.

Well hopefully we intend to help.

> Again, thanks for the info. Now I know at least a couple of
> things to investigate, and a couple of things that are OK.

Try to boot a clean system up as is with just freemint, boot to
/bin/bash... just to get a shell (INIT=/bin/bash in your mint.cnf).  No
drivers other than ext2.  From here you'll be able to run fsck on the
system partition.  First try to copy a large amount of files to another
area on the disk, wait for it to complete, and see if you get errors.
This helps to establish that there isn't some software interfering.

Thanks,
Mark