Re: [MiNT] m68k-atari-mint-flags and m68k-atari-mint-stack

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 08:22 -0400, Standa Opichal wrote:
> Hi Mark!
>
> Mark Duckworth wrote:
>  > Both of those files aren't too necessary.
>
> False!
>
> > Stack adjusts the stacksize of the program
>
> True
>
> > which only matters for binary executables, libs don't have a stack AFAIK.
>
> False
>
> The default stack size is set staticaly to some value by the linker
> (there is no command line option to adjust this IIRC) and therefore if
> you have e.g. recursive algorithms that need some more stack space then
> you _need_ this essentially. This is true for almost every second
> application I've seen. There is an option to set the stack size also in
> PureC and other compilers.
>
> > The flags program is the same, it adjusts memory flags,
> > like fastram, fastload, etc, also unnecessary on a cross compiler.
>
> Hmm. sometimes there is a need to adjust these flags.... e.g. for .SLB?
>
> Regards
>
> Standa

Well of course they're both necessary on a freemint distribution
themselves.  I know when I make an RPM for instance I use both, but I
figured he could just cross compile and then us those utils on a real
atari system later on.  Also he could take those utils off a real atari
system and put them on his cross compiler if a makefile needed them.
That they weren't a big deal only meant, they weren't tough utilities to
work with and he could even get by without them ON a cross compiler
only.  As for libs having a stack, well we learn something new every
day ;-).

I wonder how come binaries have a default stack size of 0K.  Seems
troublesome to me and caused me great headaches in the past before I
knew of such things.

Thanks,
--
Mark Duckworth <mduckworth@atari-source.com>