Re: [MiNT] CVS Builds

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 16:09 +0200, Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Mark Duckworth wrote:
> > They will be available at
> > http://storage.atari-source.com/atari/mirrors/cvs_builds/
>
> Thanks for doing that great job to maintain one binary
> snapshot a day ! I'm sure that it will really be for the
> benefit of the freeMiNT operating system.
>
> One thing that I must say ... I've many troubles with the
> binaries, but it may come from a broken CVS. Anyway,
> I can see that the binaries that you are producing are
> 5 to 10 time bigger than the original binaries
> released in the 1.16.0beta, or than Draco's kernel
> binaries (http://draco.atari.org).
>
> Would you have an explanation ? Is that coming from the
> GCC version you are using (3.3 vs. 2.95.3) or libraries,
> or optimization options ... That point must be explained ...
>
> I'm looking forward to your answer ...

Francois,

I left debugging symbols inside the binaries.  The debugging symbols are
what results in it being so big, I think so anyway.  At very least if
you run "strip binaryname" the resulting binary is loads smaller.  So
for instance, the mint kernel would be MUCH smaller.   I left the
debugging symbols inside because it seemed logical since CVS kernels
might need to have a debugger run against them and have line info in
them and such.

Thanks,
Mark

--