Re: [MiNT] Shareable/loadable libraries: a preliminary document

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:14 +0100, Philipp Donzé wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Should 68000 support be considered for such an advanced step in
> > FreeMint development ?
>

> IMO a good solution would be to drop 68000 support and add virtual
> memory into the OS. This would ease the implementation of dynamic
> libraries and would allow adoption of more features from other Unix
> systems.
>
> Philipp

we feel a need to branch the kernel.  DO IT.  Have a 1.15.x kernel for
68000 and maintain it for that system, maintain a package repository for
that system.  Enough people still use 1.15.12 that another 1.15.12
release hsould be made with proper sockdev.xdd, etc to be released with
those bugfixes.  Or maybe just the inet4 stuff could be added and
nothing else...  You could even branch 1.16.x right now and call it the
last 68000 kernel.

Add vm to 1.16.x, recompile all the packages with shared lib support
once someone does it and do a new repository.  Let's have some fun.

You could even go one step further:
if (68000)
	no_vm();
else
	vm();

Not too hard I would think???  Not trying to insult anyone here but I
think we can get going on this.

Thanks,
Mark