[MiNT] Kernel modules idea

Hello

After a discussion with Draco, I have an idea about kernel modules.

At this moment if module uses a kernel function in a wrong way (like kfree on a memory that never been kmalloced) we shoot the messenger, ie. kernel, we have kernel fatal error.

The idea is so modules should have a special verion of each function that atm harms kernel, so the would not. At the beggining, module should register() to get a module id (mid). Then is should use this mid when calling every kernel function (as a first parameter). Then if module misbehaves we can shoot the module not the kernel, as kernel can track all resource allocation made by module (resurce = memory, fd, trap, etc.).

We would also need modules to mark other modules and the processes that depend on them, so we could kill them all (I always wanted to say that ;) ).

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl